Re: current objtool warnings from randconfig builds

From: Josh Poimboeuf
Date: Tue Feb 07 2023 - 12:42:36 EST

On Tue, Feb 07, 2023 at 05:16:58PM +0100, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 07, 2023 at 11:25:27AM +0100, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> > Hi Josh and Peter,
> >
> > I've updated my randconfig test setup to use gcc-13 and clang-16, and
> > have sent fixes for all normal WERROR=y build warnings, but there are a
> > lot of objtool warnings that remain. I've reported some of them in
> > the past, some others are new. It would be nice to at least reduce
> > the number of warnings either through code changes or workarounds
> > in objtool for any false positives.
> >
> > Out of 1500 builds, about a third had any warnings, this is the full
> > list sorted by frequency. Let me know if there are any that you haven't
> > seen before, I can provide the corresponding object and config files
> > for reproducing.
> >
> > Arnd
> >
> > 8<---
> > 205 mm/kasan/shadow.o: warning: objtool: __asan_memset+0x2e: call to __memset() with UACCESS enabled
> > 205 mm/kasan/shadow.o: warning: objtool: __asan_memmove+0x48: call to __memmove() with UACCESS enabled
> > 205 mm/kasan/shadow.o: warning: objtool: __asan_memcpy+0x48: call to __memcpy() with UACCESS enabled
>
> Patch pending here:
>
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/peterz/queue.git/commit/?h=sched/core-robot&id=79cdfdacd5b8d1ac77e24ccbc178bba0294d0d78
>

> > 80 vmlinux.o: warning: objtool: ibt_selftest+0x11: sibling call from callable instruction with modified stack frame
>
> Can you provide details on how to reproduce this?

Arnd, thanks for rounding these up and posting them.

I agree we need to get these all cleaned up, but before we go too far
down the rabbit hole, is there some better way to track these?

Not that I would suggest using an external tracker, but maybe at least
put each set of related warnings (e.g., those having the same frequency)
in its own subthread with the config/compiler info included.

--
Josh