Re: Request for contributor approval: Relicensing rseq selftests to MIT

From: Mathieu Desnoyers
Date: Mon Feb 06 2023 - 14:17:45 EST

On 2023-02-06 13:36, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
Hi,

I would like to get contributor approval to relicense the rseq selftests within the Linux kernel and the librseq project to MIT. This will make it easier to use librseq from statically built applications, and I wish to continue sharing code between the kernel rseq selftests and librseq.

Allowing use of rseq application headers from statically built applications was the intent from the beginning, but it turns out that having the rseq.c initialization code under LGPL2.1 makes it harder than it should be for users.

The current contributor summary commit-wise under
tools/testing/selftests/rseq is:

    269  Mathieu Desnoyers <mathieu.desnoyers@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
      6  Michael Ellerman <mpe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      5  Shuah Khan <skhan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      3  Michael Jeanson <mjeanson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
      3  Peter Oskolkov <posk@xxxxxxxxxx>
      2  Martin Schwidefsky <schwidefsky@xxxxxxxxxx>

I am having issues reaching Martin Schwidefsky. In this case it's a one-liner
contribution to a header which is going from LGPL2.1 OR MIT to MIT, which is
fine because it just removes one of the pre-allowed licenses, thus removing
some redundancy.

[ CCing Heiko Carstens ]

Trying with another email address for Heiko Carstens. Adding other s390 maintainers as well.

Thanks,

Mathieu

Rerefence:

commit 3d4d1f05bc990f240d66b0ffaf7121397e14df19
Author: Martin Schwidefsky <schwidefsky@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date:   Mon Apr 29 11:27:58 2019 -0400

    rseq/selftests: s390: use trap4 for RSEQ_SIG
    Use trap4 as the guard instruction for the restartable sequence abort
    handler.
    Signed-off-by: Martin Schwidefsky <schwidefsky@xxxxxxxxxx>
    Signed-off-by: Mathieu Desnoyers <mathieu.desnoyers@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
    Signed-off-by: Shuah Khan <skhan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Thanks,

Mathieu

      1  Masahiro Yamada <masahiroy@xxxxxxxxxx>
      1  Paul Burton <paulburton@xxxxxxxxxx>
      1  Sabyasachi Gupta <sabyasachi.linux@xxxxxxxxx>
      1  Vasily Gorbik <gor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      1  Vincent Chen <vincent.chen@xxxxxxxxxx>
      1  Will Deacon <will@xxxxxxxxxx>
      1  Xingxing Su <suxingxing@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Header files are currently dual-licensed LGPL2.1/MIT, which is
somewhat redundant with plain MIT.

rseq.c was licensed under LGPL2.1. Relicencing it to MIT will facilitate its integration into statically built applications.

In order to facilitate eventual code sharing between tests and the
library implementation, I would like to relicense the tests from LGPL2.1 to MIT as well.

Many of the contributions are trivial, but I prefer to kindly ask for approval nevertheless.

Thanks,

Mathieu

--
Mathieu Desnoyers