Re: [RFC 0/5] mm/bpf/perf: Store build id in file object

From: Jiri Olsa
Date: Thu Feb 02 2023 - 10:36:39 EST

On Thu, Feb 02, 2023 at 03:10:30PM +0000, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 01, 2023 at 02:57:32PM +0100, Jiri Olsa wrote:
> > hi,
> > we have a use cases for bpf programs to use binary file's build id.
>
> What is your use case? Is it some hobbyist thing or is it something
> that distro kernels are all going to enable?

our use case is for hubble/tetragon [1] and we are asked to report
buildid of executed binary.. but the monitoring process is running
in its own pod and can't access the the binaries outside of it, so
we need to be able to read it in kernel

I understand Hao Luo has also use case for that [2]

jirka

[1] https://github.com/cilium/tetragon/
[2] https://lore.kernel.org/bpf/CA+khW7gAYHmoUkq0UqTiZjdOqARLG256USj3uFwi6z_FyZf31w@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/