Re: [6.1.7][6.2-rc5] perf all metrics test: FAILED!

From: Ian Rogers
Date: Wed Feb 01 2023 - 12:03:07 EST

On Wed, Feb 1, 2023 at 7:28 AM Liang, Kan <kan.liang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Ian,

> >> Hi Ian,
> >>
> >> I can confirm:
> >>
> >> $ echo 0 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/kptr_restrict
> >> /proc/sys/kernel/perf_event_paranoid
> >> 0
> >>
> >> $ ~/bin/perf stat -M tma_l3_bound --metric-no-group -a sleep 1
> >>
> >> Performance counter stats for 'system wide':
> >>
> >> 2.058.892 MEM_LOAD_UOPS_RETIRED.LLC_HIT # 1,5 %
> >> tma_l3_bound (99,30%)
> >> 173.254.697 CYCLE_ACTIVITY.STALLS_L2_PENDING
> >> (99,10%)
> >> 2.396.130.501 CPU_CLK_UNHALTED.THREAD
> >> (99,60%)
> >> 1.110.486 MEM_LOAD_UOPS_MISC_RETIRED.LLC_MISS
> >> (99,53%)
> >>
> >> 1,001989022 seconds time elapsed
> >>
> >> $ ~/bin/perf stat -M tma_dram_bound --metric-no-group -a sleep 1
> >>
> >> Performance counter stats for 'system wide':
> >>
> >> 1.729.208 MEM_LOAD_UOPS_RETIRED.LLC_HIT # 1,2 %
> >> tma_dram_bound (99,50%)
> >> 50.346.734 CYCLE_ACTIVITY.STALLS_L2_PENDING
> >> (99,50%)
> >> 2.354.963.862 CPU_CLK_UNHALTED.THREAD
> >> (99,80%)
> >> 306.500 MEM_LOAD_UOPS_MISC_RETIRED.LLC_MISS
> >> (99,61%)
> >>
> >> 1,001981392 seconds time elapsed
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> > Thanks, apparently it is an issue with SandyBridge/IvyBridge that some
> > counters on one hyperthread will limit what can be on the other. I
> > believe that's the comment related to EXCL access here:
> > https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/arch/x86/events/intel/core.c#L124
> > So you may have more success with the metric if you disable
> > hyperthreading, but I imagine that's not a popular option.
>
> Thanks for debugging the issue. Yes, it's caused by the HT workaround
> for SNB/IVB/HSW.
>
> The weak group check in the kernel is in validate_group(). It only does
> a sanity check. It doesn't check all the workarounds and the current
> status of counters (e.g., whether the fixed counter is occupied by NMI
> watchdog.) It's possible that a false positive is returned to the perf
> tool. I once tried to fix the NMI watchdog check in the kernel, but the
> proposal was rejected. So the metric constraint is introduced.
>
> For this issue, I think the above option2 should be a better and
> practical choice. The issue is only observed on old machines, which
> usually has a stable kernel running on it. I don't think the user wants
> to update their kernel just to workaround an issue for several metrics.
> But it should be much easier for them to update the perf tool.
>
> We know that the below events are the problematic events.
> /* MEM_UOPS_RETIRED.* */
> /* MEM_LOAD_UOPS_RETIRED.* */
> /* MEM_LOAD_UOPS_LLC_HIT_RETIRED.* */
> /* MEM_LOAD_UOPS_LLC_MISS_RETIRED.* */
> Can we update the convertor script and apply the "--metric-no-group"
> flag or add a new constraint if the above events are detected in
> SNB/IVB/HSW?
>
> Thanks,
> Kan

Thanks Kan,

We absolutely can do that! In this case should it be --metric-no-group
only when SMT is enabled? I can do some patches but would like to know
about whether we need SMT and not SMT versions of --metric-no-group.
Also, should we just have a list of metrics that need the flag or try
to automate detection? Some warts in detection are the names of the
events that vary between Ivybridge and Sandybridge, and how to
determine which events conflict. For example, the perfmon event data:

MEM_LOAD_UOPS_RETIRED.LLC_HIT
https://github.com/intel/perfmon/blob/main/IVB/events/ivybridge_core.json#L5368
MEM_LOAD_UOPS_RETIRED.LLC_MISS
https://github.com/intel/perfmon/blob/main/IVB/events/ivybridge_core.json#L5431
CYCLE_ACTIVITY.STALLS_L2_PENDING
https://github.com/intel/perfmon/blob/main/IVB/events/ivybridge_core.json#L3541

The events list all counters, there are no errata fields.. Should the
event data be updated and then in the converter script handle that? If
I get shown an example I can modify the script accordingly.

It is also hard for me to test anything other than SMT on Ivybridge.

Thanks,
Ian