Re: Linux 6.2-rc1

From: Pali Rohár
Date: Thu Jan 05 2023 - 14:28:55 EST

On Thursday 05 January 2023 11:06:21 Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > As mentioned, I don't think this kind of code belongs in the kernel. sr
> > or cdrom could easily be modified to support the necessary bits to
> > handle a writeable open, but the grunt of the pktcdvd code deals with
> > retrieving and writing out bigger chunks of data. And that part really
> > does belong in userspace imho.
>
> Well, it's the UDF write support that is the issue.. I didn't even
> realize people did that.
>
> You'd presumably have to re-do it as a FUSE thing.

It is not UDF / filesystem specific stuff. You can use any other
filesystem which you like, for example ext4. And in past some people
really used ext2 on CD-RWs. And on Windows systems before Vista, only
FAT32 was supported in read-write mode on CD-RW. UDF even on CD-RW was
read-only.

So FUSE here really does not help. As we are talking about block
storage, not filesystem storage.