Re: Linux 6.2-rc2

From: Guenter Roeck
Date: Mon Jan 02 2023 - 17:57:11 EST

On Sun, Jan 01, 2023 at 02:01:04PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> So the week started so slow due to the holidays that I thought I might
> not have any reason to do an rc2 at all, but by the end of the week I
> did end up getting a smattering of pull requests, so here we are. It's
> tiny, even smaller than usual for an rc2, and honestly, I'd expect
> that trend to continue for rc3. A lot of people are still off for
> another week on a well-deserved winter holiday, and so I suspect
> things will continue to be fairly quiet.
>
> Anyway, last week saw mainly some nvme fixes, some i915 drm work, and
> some kvm fixes (and kvm testing fixes). See below for the full
> shortlog, and if you're not still in a food coma from the holidays,
> please do give this all a good testing.

Build results:
total: 155 pass: 151 fail: 4
Failed builds:
powerpc:allmodconfig
sh:defconfig
sh:shx3_defconfig
xtensa:allmodconfig
Qemu test results:
total: 500 pass: 498 fail: 2
Failed tests:
arm:xilinx-zynq-a9:multi_v7_defconfig:usb0:mem128:net,default:zynq-zc702:rootfs
arm:xilinx-zynq-a9:multi_v7_defconfig:usb0:mem128:zynq-zed:rootfs

Same as last week, so I won't go into details for the above failures.

One detail to mention, though, is that sh:rts7751r2dplus_defconfig
no longer builds with older versions of binutils (2.32). Trying to
do so results in the following build error.

`.exit.text' referenced in section `__bug_table' of drivers/char/hw_random/core.o:
defined in discarded section `.exit.text' of drivers/char/hw_random/core.o

To make this more interesting, kernels older than v5.10 do not boot
(at least not in qemu) when images are built with binutils 2.27 or newer.
That is why I had used binutils 2.32 in the first place.

I didn't bother tracking this down but switched to binutils 2.39 when
building v5.10+ images.

Guenter