Re: [RFC 0/2] srcu: Remove pre-flip memory barrier

From: Joel Fernandes
Date: Thu Dec 22 2022 - 13:19:23 EST

> On Dec 22, 2022, at 11:43 AM, Paul E. McKenney <paulmck@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Dec 22, 2022 at 01:40:10PM +0100, Frederic Weisbecker wrote:
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> What you refer to here is only memory ordering of the store to X and load
>>> from X wrt loading/increment of srcu_read_lock, which is internal to the
>>> srcu implementation. If we really want to model the provided high-level
>>> memory ordering guarantees, we should consider a scenario where SRCU is used
>>> for its memory ordering properties to synchronize other variables.
>>>
>>> I'm concerned about the following Dekker scenario, where synchronize_srcu()
>>> and srcu_read_lock/unlock would be used instead of memory barriers:
>>>
>>> Initial state: X = 0, Y = 0
>>>
>>> Thread A Thread B
>>> STORE X = 1 STORE Y = 1
>>> synchronize_srcu()
>>> srcu_read_lock()
>>> r1 = LOAD X
>>> srcu_read_unlock()
>>> r0 = LOAD Y
>>>
>>> BUG_ON(!r0 && !r1)
>>>
>>> So in the synchronize_srcu implementation, there appears to be two
>>> major scenarios: either srcu_gp_start_if_needed starts a gp or expedited gp,
>>> or it uses an already started gp/expedited gp. When snapshotting with
>>> rcu_seq_snap, the fact that the memory barrier is after the ssp->srcu_gp_seq
>>> load means that it does not order prior memory accesses before that load.
>>> This sequence value is then used to identify which gp_seq to wait for when
>>> piggy-backing on another already-started gp. I worry about reordering
>>> between STORE X = 1 and load of ssp->srcu_gp_seq, which is then used to
>>> piggy-back on an already-started gp.
>>>
>>> I suspect that the implicit barrier in srcu_read_lock() invoked at the
>>> beginning of srcu_gp_start_if_needed() is really the barrier that makes
>>> all this behave as expected. But without documentation it's rather hard to
>>> follow.
>>
>> Oh ok I see now. It might be working that way by accident or on forgotten
>> purpose. In any case, we really want to add a comment above that
>> __srcu_read_lock_nmisafe() call.
>
> Another test for the safety (or not) of removing either D or E is
> to move that WRITE_ONCE() to follow (or, respectively, precede) the
> adjacent scans.

Good idea, though I believe the MBs that the above talk about are not the flip ones. They are the ones in synchronize_srcu() beginning and end, that order with respect to grace period start and end.

So that (flipping MBs) is unrelated, or did I miss something?

Thanks.