Re: [6.2][regression] looks like commit aab9cf7b6954136f4339136a1a7fc0602a2c4d8b leads to use-after-free and random computer hangs

From: Thorsten Leemhuis
Date: Thu Dec 22 2022 - 07:31:20 EST

Hi, this is your Linux kernel regression tracker.

On 18.12.22 14:28, Mikhail Gavrilov wrote:

> The kernel 6.2 preparation cycle has begun.
> And after the kernel was updated on my Fedora Rawhide I started
> receiving use-after-free errors with complete computer hangs.
> At least a good reproducer of this behaviour is launch of the game
> "Marvel's Avengers".
>
> The backtrace of the issue looks like:
> [...]

Thx for your report. I'm not one of the developers for this area of the
kernel, but to my untrained eyes it looks like this patch might fix your
problem:

https://lore.kernel.org/all/20221219104718.21677-1-christian.koenig@xxxxxxx/

Anyway, to be sure the issue doesn't fall through the cracks unnoticed,
I'm adding it to regzbot, my Linux kernel regression tracking bot:

#regzbot ^introduced aab9cf7b695413
#regzbot title drm: amdgpu: use-after-free and random computer hangs
#regzbot monitor:
https://lore.kernel.org/all/20221219104718.21677-1-christian.koenig@xxxxxxx/
#regzbot fix: drm/amdgpu: grab extra fence reference for
drm_sched_job_add_dependency
#regzbot ignore-activity

P.S.: As the Linux kernel's regression tracker I deal with a lot of
reports and sometimes miss something important when writing mails like
this. If that's the case here, don't hesitate to tell me in a public
reply, it's in everyone's interest to set the public record straight.