Re: regression: nfs mount (even idle) eventually hangs server

From: Chuck Lever III
Date: Wed Dec 21 2022 - 23:28:29 EST

> On Dec 21, 2022, at 11:14 PM, Mike Galbraith <efault@xxxxxx> wrote:

>> Ah, not true, turning evolution loose in nfs mounted home and letting
>> it refresh mailboxes while desktop box was kept busy jammed up 6.1.0 in
>> fairly short order.
>
> Well crap. That was _not_ virgin 6.1.0 after all, it was 6.1.0 with...
>
> 44df6f439a17 NFSD: add delegation reaper to react to low memory condition
> 3959066b697b NFSD: add support for sending CB_RECALL_ANY
> a1049eb47f20 NFSD: refactoring courtesy_client_reaper to a generic low memory shrinker
>
> ...applied from poking about yesterday. I had given up on those as
> culprit, and intended to pop them off and rebuild, but they were in
> fact in the booted kernel. Oh well, booboo could have a bright side.

Hi Mike-

I'm guessing your client mounts with NFSv4.x.

We've been chasing a similar problem for a few months, but for
lack of a solid reproducer, it has remained elusive.

We believe the problem was introduced between 5.19 and 6.0. If
you have a fairly reliable way to trigger the server hang, then
maybe a bisect would be possible?

--
Chuck Lever