Re: [RFC 0/2] srcu: Remove pre-flip memory barrier

From: Mathieu Desnoyers
Date: Tue Dec 20 2022 - 14:01:28 EST

On 2022-12-20 13:29, Joel Fernandes wrote:

I do want to finish my memory barrier studies of SRCU over the holidays since I have been deep in the hole with that already. Back to the post flip memory barrier here since I think now even that might not be needed…

I strongly suspect the memory barrier after flip is useless for the same reasons I mentioned explaining why the barrier before the flip is useless.

However, we need to double-check that we have memory barriers at the beginning and end of synchronize_srcu, and between load of "unlock" counters and load of "lock" counters.

Where is the barrier at the beginning of synchronize_srcu ?

Thanks,

Mathieu

--
Mathieu Desnoyers