Re: [RFC 0/2] srcu: Remove pre-flip memory barrier

From: Mathieu Desnoyers
Date: Sun Dec 18 2022 - 18:39:07 EST

On 2022-12-18 16:30, Joel Fernandes wrote:
Hi Mathieu,

On Sun, Dec 18, 2022 at 3:56 PM Mathieu Desnoyers

On 2022-12-18 14:13, Joel Fernandes (Google) wrote:
Hello, I believe the pre-flip memory barrier is not required. The only reason I
can say to remove it, other than the possibility that it is unnecessary, is to
not have extra code that does not help. However, since we are issuing a fully
memory-barrier after the flip, I cannot say that it hurts to do it anyway.

For this reason, please consider these patches as "informational", than a
"please merge". :-) Though, feel free to consider merging if you agree!

All SRCU scenarios pass with these, with 6 hours of testing.

Hi Joel,

Please have a look at the comments in my side-rcu implementation [1, 2].
It is similar to what SRCU does (per-cpu counter based grace period
tracking), but implemented for userspace. The comments explain why this
works without the memory barrier you identify as useless in SRCU.

Following my implementation of side-rcu, I reviewed the SRCU comments
and identified that the barrier "/* E */" appears to be useless. I even
discussed this privately with Paul E. McKenney.

My implementation and comments go further though, and skip the period
"flip" entirely if the first pass observes that all readers (in both
periods) are quiescent.

Actually in SRCU, the first pass scans only 1 index, then does the
flip, and the second pass scans the second index. Without doing a
flip, an index cannot be scanned for forward progress reasons because
it is still "active". So I am curious how you can skip flip and still
scan both indexes? I will dig more into your implementation to learn more.

If we look at SRCU read-side:

int __srcu_read_lock(struct srcu_struct *ssp)
{
int idx;

idx = READ_ONCE(ssp->srcu_idx) & 0x1;
this_cpu_inc(ssp->sda->srcu_lock_count[idx]);
smp_mb(); /* B */ /* Avoid leaking the critical section. */
return idx;
}

If the thread is preempted for a long period of time between load of ssp->srcu_idx and increment of srcu_lock_count[idx], this means this
thread can appear as a "new reader" for the idx period at any arbitrary time in the future, independently of which period is the current one within a future grace period.

As a result, the grace period algorithm needs to inherently support the fact that a "new reader" can appear in any of the two periods, independently of the current period state.

As a result, this means that while within period "0", we _need_ to allow newly coming readers to appear as we scan period "0".

As a result, we can simply scan both periods 0/1 for reader quiescence, even while new readers appear within those periods.

As a result, flipping between periods 0/1 is just relevant for forward progress, not for correctness.

As a result, we can remove barrier /* E */.

Thoughts ?

Thanks,

Mathieu

The most relevant comment in side-rcu is:

* The grace period completes when it observes that there are no active
* readers within each of the periods.
*
* The active_readers state is initially true for each period, until the
* grace period observes that no readers are present for each given
* period, at which point the active_readers state becomes false.

So I agree with the clarifications you propose here, but I think we can
improve the grace period implementation further by clarifying the SRCU
grace period model.

Thanks a lot, I am curious how you do the "detection of no new
readers" part without globally doing some kind of synchronization. I
will dig more into your implementation to learn more.

Thanks,

- Joel

Thanks,

Mathieu

[1] https://github.com/efficios/libside/blob/master/src/rcu.h
[2] https://github.com/efficios/libside/blob/master/src/rcu.c

thanks,

- Joel

Joel Fernandes (Google) (2):
srcu: Remove comment about prior read lock counts
srcu: Remove memory barrier "E" as it is not required

kernel/rcu/srcutree.c | 10 ----------
1 file changed, 10 deletions(-)

--
2.39.0.314.g84b9a713c41-goog