[RFC 0/2] srcu: Remove pre-flip memory barrier

From: Joel Fernandes (Google)
Date: Sun Dec 18 2022 - 14:14:41 EST

Hello, I believe the pre-flip memory barrier is not required. The only reason I
can say to remove it, other than the possibility that it is unnecessary, is to
not have extra code that does not help. However, since we are issuing a fully
memory-barrier after the flip, I cannot say that it hurts to do it anyway.

For this reason, please consider these patches as "informational", than a
"please merge". :-) Though, feel free to consider merging if you agree!

All SRCU scenarios pass with these, with 6 hours of testing.

thanks,

- Joel

Joel Fernandes (Google) (2):
srcu: Remove comment about prior read lock counts
srcu: Remove memory barrier "E" as it is not required

kernel/rcu/srcutree.c | 10 ----------
1 file changed, 10 deletions(-)

--
2.39.0.314.g84b9a713c41-goog