Re: [GIT PULL] arch/microblaze patches for 6.2-rc1

From: Michal Simek
Date: Tue Dec 13 2022 - 02:53:43 EST

On 12/12/22 18:49, Linus Torvalds wrote:
On Thu, Dec 8, 2022 at 2:07 AM Michal Simek <monstr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Microblaze patches for 6.2-rc1

- Cleanup PCI support

That tag looks normal in the email, but it's actually nastily encoded.
When I fetched it, I did this:

git cat-file tag FETCH_HEAD | hexdump -c

and it shows

0000080 9 3 5 4 6 + 0 1 0 0 \n \n M i c
0000090 r o b l a z e 302 240 p a t c h e s
00000a0 302 240 f o r 302 240 6 . 2 - r c 1 \n \n
00000b0 - C l e a n u p P C I s u
00000c0 p p o r t \n - - - - - B E G I N

Note how the "spaces" between "Microblaze", "patches", "for" and "6.2"
are not actually regular space characters, but \xc2\a0, which is utf-8
encoding for unicode character A0 ("no-break space").

Please don't do that. I have my editor show odd characters as hex
codes (I don't want any hidden information), which is why I noticed,
and I'm not sure why/how you did it.

It is not done intentionally. I am looking at previous commit messages and I do c&p the first line from firefox via gitweb interface. This is style I use for years but I see when I do it now that there are added additional chars as you mentioned above.

I tracked it down that it started to behave like this between Oct 11/Nov 22 (from my U-Boot tags) and it is actually firefox (which was upgraded) who is adding additional chars there. When I do the same style via chrome I can't see any issue.

I will start to write the whole message by hand without c&p to make sure that it won't happen again.

Thanks,
Michal

--
Michal Simek, Ing. (M.Eng), OpenPGP -> KeyID: FE3D1F91
w: www.monstr.eu p: +42-0-721842854