Re: [Patch V1 3/7] x86/microcode/core: Move microcode_check() to cpu/microcode/core.c

From: Borislav Petkov
Date: Mon Dec 05 2022 - 11:25:28 EST

On Tue, Nov 29, 2022 at 01:08:28PM -0800, Ashok Raj wrote:
> microcode_check() is only called from microcode/core.c. Move it and make
> it static to prepare for upcoming fix of false negative when checking CPU
> features after a microcode update.

So this function is there in cpu/common.c because it uses CPU facilities
like cpuinfo_x86 and get_cpu_cap() so the logical place was there.
So that I don't have to export a bunch of things but rather have the
microcode loader call into it only.

Your next patch is using more of those CPU-specific facilities so
"bleeding" them into the microcode loader looks like the wrong way
around.

get_cpu_cap() deals with all those c->x86_capability arrays and other
functions which do that, should be there too.

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.

https://people.kernel.org/tglx/notes-about-netiquette