non-functional suspend/resume on Fujitsu Lifebook U7512 (and more)

From: Christoph Anton Mitterer
Date: Thu Nov 10 2022 - 10:51:41 EST

Hey.

I got a new Fujitsu Lifebook U7512, which has an Intel i7-1270P and
runs with Debian unstable (kernel 6.0.7).

There are a number of problems, where I don't know where exactly to
report.

1) Suspend to RAM is probably broken
First, there was the problem discussed here:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/intel/-/issues/7402
respectively in own my earlier report:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/intel/-/issues/7378
But for that here are patches (see first link) which I've
tested and they fix that problem.

However, as I've already mentioned here:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/intel/-/issues/7402#note_1632185
there's more broken with suspend, which I guess is unrelated to
i915:

With and without the fix for the above issue, when I send the system
to suspend to RAM, while there is some bigger CPU activity (and one
can noticeably hear the fan), the fan stays on even when suspended.
When the fan ran very fast when suspending, it seems to slow down,
but then ever really stops completely.

With previous Lifebooks, the suspend was completed, when the screen
turned off, and the power button LED started blinking, which is also
what happens above.
However, because of the fan issue and the following, I'm not even
sure, whether it's really fully suspended at all.

In earlier device, the resume was initiated when pressing the power
button (or opening the lid).
However, no pressing the power button has no effect at all (even
pressing it several times) - but pressing any keyboard key, causes
it to resume (which works correctly with the patches to i915).

Any ideas what to do? Or is this some firmware issue, where the
kernel cannot really fix anything?

2) While booting, kernel log gives a number of errors/warnings, where
I'm not sure whether anything should be done/reported, or if that's
just "normal":

pmd_set_huge: Cannot satisfy [mem 0xc0000000-0xc0200000] with a huge-page mapping due to MTRR override.

pci 0000:00:07.0: DPC: RP PIO log size 0 is invalid
pci 0000:00:07.1: DPC: RP PIO log size 0 is invalid

pnp 00:03: disabling [mem 0xc0000000-0xcfffffff] because it overlaps 0000:00:02.0 BAR 9 [mem 0x00000000-0xdfffffff 64bit pref]

hpet_acpi_add: no address or irqs in _CRS

i2c i2c-17: Systems with more than 4 memory slots not supported yet, not instantiating SPD

thermal thermal_zone4: failed to read out thermal zone (-61)

3) That one I saw only once (much later, not during boot), but sounded
a bit more concerning:
Scheduler frequency invariance went wobbly, disabling!

If anyone could help/tell whether the ones from (2) and (3) are
"interesting" and should be reported somewhere (and where?) that would
be appreciated.
I personally don't see any other big malfunctioning than that from (1),
so I would rather ignore (2) and (3) from my side.

Thanks a lot,
Chris.