Re: [GIT PULL] LSM fixes for v6.1 (#1)

From: Paul Moore
Date: Wed Nov 09 2022 - 15:13:57 EST

On Wed, Nov 9, 2022 at 9:38 AM Serge E. Hallyn <serge@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 31, 2022 at 12:22:29PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 31, 2022 at 4:07 AM Paul Moore <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > A single patch to the capabilities code to fix a potential memory leak
> > > in the xattr allocation error handling. Please apply for v6.1-rcX.
> >
> > Pulled.
> >
> > However, I react to the strange test condition. Sure, it's
> > pre-existing, but does it really make sense?
> >
> > It does
> >
> > + if (ret < 0 || !tmpbuf) {
> > + size = ret;
> > + goto out_free;
> > + }
> >
> > and how the heck can 'tmpbuf' be NULL if vfs_getxattr_alloc() succeeded?
>
> I had to go through the history a bit - the !tmpbuf check was added
>
> https://www.spinics.net/lists/stable/msg463010.html
>
> because of a gcc warning. Perhaps there's a better way to tell gcc
> that it can't remain NULL if ret was < 0 ?

Ooof, that's ugly, but thanks for digging it up. As it turns out I
happen to be working on a patch for vfs_getxattr_alloc() to fix the
return value type right now, but it looks like I'll leave that gcc
hack in place ... although I might leave a comment about it so the
next person doesn't have to wonder.

--
paul-moore.com