Re: Linux 6.1-rc3

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Nov 01 2022 - 13:37:27 EST

On Tue, Nov 1, 2022 at 10:29 AM Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The random "Inconsistent kallsyms data" issue is something that we've
> had for over a decade.

Actually, it's more like two decades at least.

I had to go back to the BK archives just to see, but that
"Inconsistent kallsyms data" goes back to at least 2004, and that's
just when the warning (and that KALLSYMS_EXTRA_PASS workaround) was
introduced.

The problem itself predates it. The bitkeeper commit from June 2004 by
Keith Owens optimistically states

Add CONFIG_KALLSYMS_EXTRA_PASS as a temporary workaround for unstable maps,
so users can proceed while waiting for kallsyms to be fixed.

and here we are, almost two decades later, and that "temporary"
KALLSYMS_EXTRA_PASS thing still exists.

But yeah, it has always been this low-grade annoying randomness with
symbols that move around when re-linking.

Linus