Re: [GIT PULL] x86/urgent for 6.1

From: Borislav Petkov
Date: Sun Oct 23 2022 - 15:06:48 EST

On Sun, Oct 23, 2022 at 11:42:25AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Several trees do that already, and jst call the tags "for-linus" or similar.

Yap, exactly. And I have had a bunch of times a git warning in my tree
complaining about "master" being an ambiguous reference which was fun to
chase down the first time.

In tip we opted for either calling the tag "<branch-name>-<date>" -
which I still think is suboptimal because then you have to go and
match the date to the release which was current at the time.

Or use my vastly superior idea of <branch-name>_for_<kernel-version>
which tells you everything you wanna know. :-)

> I obviously don't want to distribute these temporary tags as tags, no.
> That's a git default behavior thing, because it would be very annoying
> to get hundreds of irrelevant tags that get distributed with the
> kernel.

Yap, exactly.

> And that's the part I mean when I said "Nobody will look at the tag
> name afterwards". Yes, there are signs of that incorrect tag name in
> there, but it's not like I suspect anybody would have ever even
> noticed hadn't you brought it up.

Yes, makes perfect sense to me. I had a hunch that it would be something
along the lines of: the tag doesn't really need to be a 1st class object
in the pulling repo and it is good enough if it is part of the pull
request text only.

So thanks for explaining.

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.

SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH
GF: Ivo Totev, Andrew Myers, Andrew McDonald, Martje Boudien Moerman
(HRB 36809, AG Nürnberg)