Re: [GIT PULL] Backlight for v6.1

From: Andy Shevchenko
Date: Thu Oct 20 2022 - 09:49:28 EST

On Wed, Oct 19, 2022 at 08:31:33PM -0700, Randy Dunlap wrote:
> On 10/9/22 05:58, Hans de Goede wrote:
> > On 10/9/22 01:23, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> >> On Sat, Oct 8, 2022 at 12:59 PM Hans de Goede <hdegoede@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Because if it depends on some symbols from I2C_DESIGNWARE_PLATFORM,
> >> and that one can be a module, then the Intel PMIC driver also needs to
> >> be built as a module to just get the build coverage, at least.
>
> I don't see intel_soc_pmic_crc.c using any direct calls into
> i2c-designware-platform code. If it calls into it, it must be thru some
> indirect pointers (?).

It's on hardware level, the PMIC is connected to the I²C host controller,
which is Synopsys DesignWare and being services by the respective driver.

Any access to the PMIC's registers requires the I²C to be involved.
What we talked above is even bigger loop, that takes AML code in
the chain.

--
With Best Regards,
Andy Shevchenko