Re: signal: break out of wait loops on kthread_stop()

From: Tvrtko Ursulin
Date: Wed Oct 19 2022 - 13:57:49 EST

On 19/10/2022 17:00, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
On Wed, Oct 19, 2022 at 7:31 AM Tvrtko Ursulin
<tvrtko.ursulin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

A question regarding a7c01fa93aeb ("signal: break out of wait loops on
kthread_stop()") if I may.

We have a bunch code in i915, possibly limited to self tests (ie debug
builds) but still important for our flows, which spawn kernel threads
and exercises parts of the driver.

Problem we are hitting with this patch is that code did not really need
to be signal aware until now. Well to say that more accurately - we were
able to test the code which is normally executed from userspace, so is
signal aware, but not worry about -ERESTARTSYS or -EINTR within the test
cases itself.

For example threads which exercise an internal API for a while until the
parent calls kthread_stop. Now those tests can hit unexpected errors.

Question is how to best approach working around this change. It is of
course technically possible to rework our code in more than one way,
although with some cost and impact already felt due reduced pass rates
in our automated test suites.

Maybe an opt out kthread flag from this new behavior? Would that be
acceptable as a quick fix? Or any other comments?

You can opt out by running `clear_tsk_thread_flag(current,
TIF_NOTIFY_SIGNAL);` at the top of your kthread. But you should really
fix your code instead. Were I your reviewer, I wouldn't merge code
that took the lazy path like that. However, that should work, if you
do opt for the quick fix.

Right, but our hand is a bit forced at the moment. Since 6.1-rc1 has propagated to our development tree on Monday, our automated testing started failing significantly, which prevents us merging new work until resolved. So a quick fix trumps the ideal road in the short term. Just because it is quick.

Also, are you confident that the change will not catch anyone else by surprise? In the original thread I did not spot any concerns about the kthreads being generally unprepared to start receiving EINTR/ERESTARTSYS from random call chains.

Regards,

Tvrtko