Odd interaction with file capabilities and procfs files

From: Daniel Xu
Date: Tue Oct 18 2022 - 20:42:29 EST

Hi,

(Going off get_maintainers.pl for fs/namei.c here)

I'm seeing some weird interactions with file capabilities and S_IRUSR
procfs files. Best I can tell it doesn't occur with real files on my btrfs
home partition.

Test program:

#include <fcntl.h>
#include <stdio.h>

int main()
{
int fd = open("/proc/self/auxv", O_RDONLY);
if (fd < 0) {
perror("open");
return 1;
}

printf("ok\n");
return 0;
}

Steps to reproduce:

$ gcc main.c
$ ./a.out
ok
$ sudo setcap "cap_net_admin,cap_sys_admin+p" a.out
$ ./a.out
open: Permission denied

It's not obvious why this happens, even after spending a few hours
going through the standard documentation and kernel code. It's
intuitively odd b/c you'd think adding capabilities to the permitted
set wouldn't affect functionality.

Best I could tell the -EACCES error occurs in the fallthrough codepath
inside generic_permission().

Sorry if this is something dumb or obvious.

Thanks,
Daniel