Re: BISECT result: 6.0.0-RC kernels trigger Firefox snap bug with 6.0.0-rc3 through 6.0.0-rc7

From: Phillip Lougher
Date: Mon Oct 17 2022 - 09:59:47 EST

On 17/10/2022 14:22, Mirsad Goran Todorovac wrote:

On 16.10.2022. 21:55, Phillip Lougher wrote:
On 16/10/2022 16:55, Mirsad Goran Todorovac wrote:
On 15. 10. 2022. 22:59, Phillip Lougher wrote:

Tracking down bugs of this sort is always a process of elimination,
and gathering information to pinpoint the exact circumstances of why
it is triggering.

Next step is to download the exact snap(s) where the problems are occurring, as this may provide some insights.

I don't run Ubuntu, and I don't use snaps.  Can you provide the
download link(s) of the snap(s) that cause problems?  If there's
any firefox snaps that don't cause problems those will be useful
too.

You don't mention if there's any errors present in "dmesg" when
this happens, and so I'm assuming there aren't any?

Phillip

Snaps are originated in Ubuntu, and they heavily rely on snapd, and squashfs for decompressing executables.
Naturally, this also affects Linux Mint as Ubuntu's fork.

Those two comprise a large share of the Linux distros, and Firefox is exclusively distributed in snaps.

I know you meant well, but, don't talk to me as if I'm the village
idiot.

I said I don't run snaps or Ubuntu, which is nothing to do with lack of
understanding (*)

I'll contact a couple of people in Canonical to obtain what I need.

(*) I worked as a kernel maintainer for Canonical (Ubuntu) from 2007/8
and I worked as a kernel maintainer for Redhat on RHEL (which Centos
is a free version) from 2011 - 2019. This is addition to writing and
maintaining Squashfs in the upstream kernel.