Re: [git pull] drm for 6.1-rc1

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Oct 06 2022 - 14:48:10 EST

On Tue, Oct 4, 2022 at 8:42 PM Dave Airlie <airlied@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Lots of stuff all over, some new AMD IP support and gang
> submit support [..]

Hmm.

I have now had my main desktop lock up twice after pulling this.
Nothing in the dmesg after a reboot, and nothing in particular that
seems to trigger it, so I have a hard time even guessing what's up,
but the drm changes are the primary suspect.

I will try to see if I can get any information out of the machine, but
with the symptom being just a dead machine ...

This is the same (old) Radeon device:

49:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
[AMD/ATI] Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/480/570/570X/580/580X/590] (rev e7)

with dual 4k monitors, running on my good old Threadripper setup.

Again, there's no explicit reason to blame the drm pull, except that
it started after that merge (that machine ran the kernel with the
networking pull for a day with no problems, and while there were other
pull requests in between them, they seem to be fairly unrelated to the
hardware I have).

But the lockup is so sporadic (twice in the last day) that I really
can't bisect it, so I'm afraid I have very very little info.

Any suggestions?

Linus