Re: 6.0.0-RC kernels trigger Firefox snap bug with 6.0.0-rc3 through 6.0.0-rc7

From: Thorsten Leemhuis
Date: Thu Oct 06 2022 - 09:23:12 EST

On 06.10.22 14:43, Mirsad Todorovac wrote:
> On 10/6/22 14:25, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>
>> One more question:
>>
>> On 06.10.22 14:00, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> Were those two vanilla kernels? I asked in #snappy on IRC and was told
>> that "snapd simply expects some ubuntu bit in patched into the kernel if
>> it detects that it runs on an official ubuntu install...". This was also
>> suggested "it probably makes sense to file a but in LP to make the
>> kernel team aware".
>>
> Yes, last time I tried it with git clone from linux_stable on kernel.org
> and
> config-6.0.0-060000-generic from the official Ubuntu mainline build

You don't want to do that. Better take the config used to build a
working kernel (say 5.19.y) and then build 6.0 with it (after running
"make olddefconfig"), because it might be a new kernel option (say for a
new security technique) that might cause the problem, as explained here:
https://docs.kernel.org/admin-guide/reporting-regressions.html

Ciao, Thorsten