Re: linux-next: Signed-off-by missing for commit in the xfs tree

From: Konstantin Ryabitsev
Date: Wed Oct 05 2022 - 12:46:53 EST

On Wed, Oct 05, 2022 at 08:04:00AM +1100, Dave Chinner wrote:
> > That said... I think we should get in the habit of asking patch authors
> > to make sure that at least one of the email or name strings match
> > between the From and SOB tags. I can see how people who grok even less
> > about how Chinese names work than I do (read: lawyers) might get fussy
> > about this kind of thing.
>
> As per above, the normal solution is an explicit "From: <foo>" line
> that matches the SOB. It's just annoying that our new-fangled tools
> haven't encoded this long-standing convention to warn us when we
> pull a patch with a from-tag that doesn't match a sob-tag.

This is the case of "there's multiple opinions of what's right" here. The
logic for matching "person tags" is as follows:

- check that entire email matches (a.smith@xxxxxxxxx == a.smith@xxxxxxxxx)
- failing that, check that the name is a full match
("Alex Smith" == "Alex Smith")
- failing that, check if there's a comma in the From and swap it around
("Smith, Alex" == "Alex Smith")

The last two checks were added based on a request, I'm pretty sure. Before
that we only did full email check and complained about trailer mismatches if
it was failing. If the previous behaviour was "more right" then I'm happy to
roll back or put this up for a "what is more correct" vote.

-K