Re: New Longterm Kernel before 6.1 Rust?

From: Slade Watkins
Date: Wed Oct 05 2022 - 01:07:52 EST

On 10/3/22 at 9:35 AM, Carl Dasantas wrote:

I was wondering if a new longterm kernel will be made prior to 6.1
being released with Rust support added? As the kernel.org page
https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html states "Longterm kernels
are picked based on various factors -- major new features...". In my
opinion, adding Rust support is a major new feature. Of course it goes
on to say new longterm kernels are dependent on time, etc so I thought
I would inquire. No harm in that, right? I'm sure there are a lot of
others in our community that are hesitant as I am with Rust and want
to see where it goes. It would be nice to have a recent longterm
kernel so we can see how this Rust stuff plays out. Possibly from 6.0
or 5.19?

Not sure if a decision has been made yet. IMHO, it may be _a bit_ before we see this year's longterm release picked.

+stable list

All the best,
-srw