Re: [RFC UKL 09/10] exec: Give userspace a method for starting UKL process

From: Andy Lutomirski
Date: Tue Oct 04 2022 - 13:37:50 EST

On Mon, Oct 3, 2022, at 3:21 PM, Ali Raza wrote:
> From: Eric B Munson <munsoner@xxxxxx>
>
> From: Eric B Munson <munsoner@xxxxxx>
>
> The UKL process might depend on setup that is to be done by user space
> prior to its initialization. We need a way to let userspace signal that it
> is ready for the UKL process to run. We will have setup a special name for
> this process in the kernel config and if this name is passed to exec that
> will start the UKL process. This way, if user space setup is required we
> can be sure that the process doesn't run until explicitly started.

This is just bizarre IMO. Why is there one single UKL process?

How about having a way to start a UKL process and then, if desired, start *another* UKL process? (And obviously there would be a security mode in which only a UKL process that is actually part of the kernel image can run or that only a UKL process with a hash that's part of the kernel image can run.)

--Andy