Re: ublk-qcow2: ublk-qcow2 is available

From: Manuel Bentele
Date: Tue Oct 04 2022 - 01:52:29 EST

Hi all,

thanks for the notification.I want to note that the official "in kernel
qcow2 (ro)" project was renamed to "xloop" and is now maintained on
Github [1]. So far we are successfully using xloop toimplement our use
case explained in [2].

Seems like we have a technical alternative to get file-format specific
functionality out of the kernel. When I presented the "in kernel qcow2
(ro)" project idea on the mailing list [3], there was a discussion about
whether file formats like qcow2 should be implemented in the kernel or
not? Now, this question should be obsolete.

[1] https://github.com/bwLehrpool/xloop
[2] https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-block/msg44858.html
[3] https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-block/msg39538.html

Regards,