Re: [External] Re: [RFC] proc: Add a new isolated /proc/pid/mempolicy type.

From: Zhongkun He
Date: Mon Sep 26 2022 - 10:35:45 EST

[Cc linux-api - please do so for any patches making/updating
kernel<->user interfaces]

From: Zhongkun He <hezhongkun.hzk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

/proc/pid/mempolicy can be used to check and adjust the userspace task's
mempolicy dynamically.In many case, the application and the control plane
are two separate systems. When the application is created, it doesn't know
how to use memory, and it doesn't care. The control plane will decide the
memory usage policy based on different reasons.In that case, we can
dynamically adjust the mempolicy using /proc/pid/mempolicy interface.

Is there any reason to make it procfs interface rather than pidfd one?

Hi michal, thanks for your reply.

I just think that it is easy to display and adjust the mempolicy using procfs. But it may not be suitable, I will send a pidfd_set_mempolicy patch later.

Btw.in order to add per-thread-group mempolicy, is it possible to add mempolicy in mm_struct?