Re: Any interest in building the Linux kernel from a MacOS host?

From: Martin Povišer
Date: Mon Sep 26 2022 - 05:07:33 EST

FWIW my current workflow includes building the kernel under macOS, so
there’s some interest from me, but that will pass once the porting
project progresses enough. So far I get by with some local duct tape.

> On 26. 9. 2022, at 10:09, Sven Peter <sven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2022, at 09:51, Nick Desaulniers wrote:

(...)

>> If this might seem helpful
>> to anyone's workflow, I wouldn't mind pursuing this (with some
>> cleanup, sending a more formal patch set). Maybe this helps us
>> bootstrap or get Linux up and running sooner on these machines?
>
> I've been either using a Linux VM or just a bare metal system running
> on these machine for quite a while now to build kernels. This would've
> been useful when I originally started though and VMs weren't working very
> well yet so maybe it's still worth pursuing.

I really wanted to do it in a VM as a saner path, but I didn't find
a satisfactory way to share the working source tree between the macOS
host and Linux guest (which wouldn't slow down the build).

Martin