New topic branch for block + gup work?

From: John Hubbard
Date: Mon Sep 05 2022 - 19:17:01 EST

Hi Jens,

After you suggested a topic branch [1] as a way to address the recent
bio_map_user_iov() conflict in linux-next, I've reviewed a few more
patchsets in mm, and am now starting to suspect that a topic branch
would be ideal here.

Logan's "Userspace P2PDMA with O_DIRECT NVMe devices" series [2], my
"convert most filesystems to pin_user_pages_fast()" series [3], and the
block layer change from [1], all conflict in iov_iter*, and in
bio_map_user_iov().

Less of an issue but still worth considering, Dan's "Fix the DAX-gup
mistake" series [4] conflicts in gup.c, too.

Maybe:

gup_bio

, or something like that, as a topic branch?

Everyone: thoughts, preferences here?

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/r/20220901161722.739d2013@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

[2] https://lore.kernel.org/r/20220825152425.6296-1-logang@xxxxxxxxxxxx

[3] https://lore.kernel.org/r/20220831041843.973026-1-jhubbard@xxxxxxxxxx