Re: strlcpy() notes (was Re: [GIT PULL] smb3 client fixes)

From: Catalin Marinas
Date: Tue Aug 23 2022 - 06:23:50 EST

On Sun, Aug 21, 2022 at 11:13:28AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> It's also worth pointing out that the kernel implementation of
> 'strscpy()' will not do the chunk-sized accesses across an unaligned
> page boundary. So it won't actually take a page fault past the
> terminating NUL character, but if you pass it an 'N' that is bigger
> than the source buffer, and you have sub-page faults in the kernel, we
> might need to do some further work in this are. Catalin?

We can probably hit sub-page faults if the function reads past the end
of a string. Strange that we haven't hit any so far (well, it needs
KASAN_HW_TAGS enabled, it doesn't get as much coverage).

With load_unaligned_zeropad(), the arm64 implementation disables tag
checking temporarily. We could do the same with read_word_at_a_time()
(there is a kasan_check_read() in this function but it wrongly uses a
size of 1).

I'll send a patch but most likely next week (I'm still on holiday).

--
Catalin