Re: upstream kernel crashes

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sun Aug 14 2022 - 17:41:00 EST

On Sun, Aug 14, 2022 at 2:26 PM Guenter Roeck <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> syscaller reports lots of crashes with the mainline kernel. The latest
> I have seen, based on the current ToT, is attached. Backtraces are not
> always the same, but this one is typical.
>
> I have not tried to analyze this further.

This smells like the same issue that Andres Freund reported:

https://lore.kernel.org/all/20220814043906.xkmhmnp23bqjzz4s@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/

he blamed the virtio changes, mainly based on the upstream merges
between his bad tree and last good tree, ie

git log --merges --author=torvalds --oneline 7ebfc85e2cd7..69dac8e431af

and assuming those end-points are accurate, that does seem to be the
most likely area.

Andres was going to try to bisect it, but if you have some idea where
this all started, that would help.

Linus