Re: Missing MIPI IPU6 camera driver for Intel Alder Lake laptops

From: Laurent Pinchart
Date: Thu Aug 11 2022 - 11:09:14 EST

On Thu, Aug 11, 2022 at 05:02:40PM +0200, Greg KH wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 11, 2022 at 04:54:53PM +0300, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> > For the time being, I agree with your recommendation to not buy these
> > devices if you care about camera support.
>
> I second this, don't buy these devices if the vendor is not willing to
> get their drivers upstreamed properly.

"Not willing" may be a bit too harsh here. I wouldn't just blame Intel
for not upstreaming a driver if it turns out that the V4L2 API isn't a
good match and we have no proposal to provide an alternative.

This being said, I agree it's the vendor's responsibility to at least
engage with the upstream community to find a solution, and collaborate
on the implementation. I'm sure there have been way more private
discussions than I'm aware of, maybe now is the right time to extend
this to a wider audience and create a realistic plan on how to move
forward. You all know my e-mail address :-)

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart