Re: [GIT PULL] Bitmap patches for v6.0-rc1

From: Michael Ellerman
Date: Mon Aug 08 2022 - 02:10:13 EST

Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> On Fri, Aug 5, 2022 at 11:11 PM Michael Ellerman <mpe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> This pull request has a conflict with the random tree in some powerpc
>> code.
>
> I noticed.

Thanks. Your resolution looks fine and builds for me.

> And I tried to do a cross-compile, but with my update to F36 the
> powerpc64 cross-tools seems to be very broken. I get lots of strange
> errors like
>
> Cannot find symbol for section 11: .text.kgdb_arch_pc.
>
> and I have no idea why. I used to have a working cross-build
> environment at one point, but now it just gives me lots of errors.

If you just build defconfig rather than allmodconfig it should build
cleanly.

That's the "recordmcount" issue that's been going on for the last ~year.
It's some bad interaction between recordmcount and weak symbols and
newer versions of binutils.

Naveen made an attempt to fix it, but the discussion with Steve fizzled
out inconclusively.

AIUI objtool doesn't have the same problem so hopefully we can switch to
objtool soon and avoid the issue.

cheers