Re: [GIT PULL] Networking for 6.0

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Aug 03 2022 - 19:53:12 EST

On Wed, Aug 3, 2022 at 3:15 AM Paolo Abeni <pabeni@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/netdev/net-next.git tags/net-next-6.0

Hmm. Another thing I note about this.

It adds a new NF_FLOW_TABLE_PROCFS option, and that one has two problems:

- it is 'default y'. Why?

- it has 'depends on PROC_FS' etc, but guess what it does *not*
depend on? NF_FLOW_TABLE itself.

So not only does this new code try to enable itself by default, which
is a no-no. We do "default y" if it's an old feature that got split
out as a config option, or if it's something that everybody *really*
should have, but I don't see that being the case here.

But it also asks the user that question even when the user doesn't
even have NF_FLOW_TABLE at all. Which seems entirely crazy.

Am I missing something? Because it looks *completely* broken.

I've said this before, and I'll say this again: our kernel config is
hard on users as-is, and we really shouldn't make it worse by making
it ask invalid questions or have invalid defaults.

Linus