Re: [git pull] vfs.git pile 3 - dcache

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Aug 03 2022 - 18:09:49 EST

On Wed, Aug 3, 2022 at 2:55 PM Steven Rostedt <rostedt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The original patch years ago use to have:
>
> preempt_disable_rt()
>
> preempt_enable_rt()

That may be visually simpler, but I dislike how it's named for some
implementation detail, rather than for the semantic meaning.

Admittedly I think "preempt_enable_under_spinlock()" may be a bit
*too* cumbersome as a name. It does explain what is going on - and
both the implementation and the use end up being fairly clear (and the
non-RT case could have some debug version that actually tests that
preemption has already been disabled).

But it is also a ridiculously long name, no question about that.

I still feel is less cumbersome than having that
"IS_ENABLED(CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT)" test that also then pretty much
requires a comment to explain what is going on.

Linus