Re: [GIT PULL] Kselftest update for Linux 5.20-rc1

From: Shuah Khan
Date: Wed Aug 03 2022 - 10:32:20 EST

On 8/2/22 10:44 PM, Guillaume Tucker wrote:
On 02/08/2022 15:29, Shuah Khan wrote:
On 8/2/22 3:51 AM, Mickaël Salaün wrote:
Hi,

This change breaks the Landlock test build when performed on the tools/testing/selftests/landlock directory because the (non-system/up-to-date) kernel headers aren't found. Looking at the use of top_srcdir and HDR_PATH, it seems that multiple subsystems are using this feature. I consider this change a regression.

I did a build test from the top level before sending the pull request
and didn't catch this breakage as a result. This breaks when build is
run from the test directory.

We have had several problems related to khdr_dir and target and decided
to move away from it with this change.

It also removes the check on up-to-date kernel headers (thanks to the Makefile's target timestamp).

I wasn't CCed for this change impacting Landlock [1]. Please keep in mind to add at least maintainers and related mailing-lists for changes on related subsystems.

That is the usual practice and if I notice missing maintainers, I add
them. We missed this one.

The following patch almost revert commit a917dd94b832 ("selftests/landlock: drop deprecated headers dependency") and partially fixes commit 49de12ba06ef ("selftests: drop KSFT_KHDR_INSTALL make target"):

Guillaume,

Will you be able to look at this and send a patch on top? I will
send another pull request before merge window closes?

Sure, I'll take a look today.

Thank you.

Also I'll see if we can add some extra build tests in KernelCI
for the kselftest tree to catch issues like these automatically.

Yes. Adding tests to catch these automatically will be great.
Please refer to use-cases for kselftest for tips on tests to
add. Beig able to build from individual test directory is one
of the use-cases.

thanks,
-- Shuah