Re: [Regression] ext4: changes to mb_optimize_scan cause issues on Raspberry Pi

From: Stefan Wahren
Date: Fri Jul 29 2022 - 01:31:14 EST

Hi Jan,

Am 28.07.22 um 12:00 schrieb Jan Kara:
Hello!
Can you run "iostat -x 1" while the download is running so that we can see
roughly how the IO pattern looks?

Also can get filesystem metadata image of your card like:
e2image -r <fs-device> - | gzip >/tmp/ext4-image.gz

and put it somewhere for download? The image will contain only fs metadata,
not data so it should be relatively small and we won't have access to your
secrets ;). With the image we'd be able to see how the free space looks
like and whether it perhaps does not trigger some pathological behavior.

My current suspicion is that because the new allocator strategy spreads
allocations over more block groups, we end up with more open erase blocks
on the SD card which forces the firmware to do more garbage collection and
RMW of erase blocks and write performance tanks...

Thanks.
thanks for your feedback. Unfortunately i'm busy the next days, so it will take some time to provide this.
Honza