Re: [net-next: PATCH v3 6/8] net: core: switch to fwnode_find_net_device_by_node()

From: Marcin Wojtas
Date: Thu Jul 28 2022 - 15:50:31 EST

czw., 28 lip 2022 o 21:16 Vladimir Oltean <olteanv@xxxxxxxxx> napisał(a):

> On Thu, Jul 28, 2022 at 06:56:48PM +0200, Marcin Wojtas wrote:
> > There was a regression even for OF in v1, but after switching to
> > device_match_fwnode() it works indeed. Anyway patch v4 is imo useful,
> > I'll only reword the commit message.
>
> Do you mean patch 4 or patch v4? If patch 4, of course it's useful, but

Patch 4/8 in v4 :) I'm working on it right now to submit asap.

> not for avoiding a regression with OF (case in which I drop all my claims
> made earlier about fw_find_net_device_by_node), but rather to actually

Change in the mvpp2 driver:
- dev->dev.of_node = port_node;
+ device_set_node(&dev->dev, port_fwnode);
is desired and correct anyway, so as a low-cost change I think it can
be included in this series (which is in fact preparation-to-ACPI
support). I will update the commit message. accordingly.

> get something working with actual ACPI (although perhaps not in this
> series, you'll need to add ACPI IDs in the mv88e6xxx driver some time

v1 added all of this, but we agreed that ACPI-specific bits should be
sent separately later, after extending the ACPI Specification.