Re: [net-next: PATCH v3 6/8] net: core: switch to fwnode_find_net_device_by_node()

From: Vladimir Oltean
Date: Wed Jul 27 2022 - 17:27:40 EST

On Thu, Jul 28, 2022 at 12:11:12AM +0300, Vladimir Oltean wrote:
> The 'label' property of a port was optional, you've made it mandatory by accident.
> It is used only by DSA drivers that register using platform data.

I didn't mean to say exactly this, the second phrase was an addition
through which I tried to make it clear that the "cpu" label *is* used,
but only by the drivers using platform data. With OF it's not, neither
that nor label = "dsa". We have other means of recognizing a CPU or DSA
port, by the 'ethernet' and/or 'dsa' phandles.

Additionally, the label is optional even for user port. One can have
udev rules that assign names to Ethernet ports. I think that is even
encouraged; some of the things in DSA predate the establishment of some
best practices.