Re: Why set .suppress_bind_attrs even though .remove() implemented?

From: Johan Hovold
Date: Mon Jul 25 2022 - 09:25:47 EST

[ +CC: maz ]

On Fri, Jul 22, 2022 at 09:38:58AM -0500, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 22, 2022 at 03:26:44PM +0200, Johan Hovold wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 21, 2022 at 05:21:22PM -0500, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
>
> > > qcom is a DWC driver, so all the IRQ stuff happens in
> > > dw_pcie_host_init(). qcom_pcie_remove() does call
> > > dw_pcie_host_deinit(), which calls irq_domain_remove(), but nobody
> > > calls irq_dispose_mapping().
> > >
> > > I'm thoroughly confused by all this. But I suspect that maybe I
> > > should drop the "make qcom modular" patch because it seems susceptible
> > > to this problem:
> > >
> > > https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/helgaas/pci.git/commit/?h=pci/ctrl/qcom&id=41b68c2d097e
> >
> > That should not be necessary.
> >
> > As you note above, interrupt handling is implemented in dwc core so if
> > there are any issue here at all, which I doubt, then all of the dwc
> > drivers that currently can be built as modules would all be broken and
> > this would need to be fixed in core.
>
> I don't know yet whether there's an issue. We need a clear argument
> for why there is or is not. The fact that others might be broken is
> not an argument for breaking another one ;)

It's not breaking anything that is currently working, and if there's
some corner case during module unload, that's not the end of the world
either.

It's a feature useful for developers and no one expects remove code to
be perfect (e.g. resilient against someone trying to break it by doing
things in parallel, etc.).

> > I've been using the modular pcie-qcom patch for months now, unloading
> > and reloading the driver repeatedly to test power sequencing, without
> > noticing any problems whatsoever.
>
> Pali's commit log suggests that unloading the module is not, by
> itself, enough to trigger the problem:
>
> https://lore.kernel.org/linux-pci/20220709161858.15031-1-pali@xxxxxxxxxx/
>
> Can you test the scenario he mentions?

Turns out the pcie-qcom driver does not support legacy interrupts so
there's no risk of there being any lingering mappings if I understand
things correctly.

Johan