Re: Linux regressions report for mainline [2022-07-24]

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sun Jul 24 2022 - 15:59:23 EST

On Sun, Jul 24, 2022 at 12:48 PM Regzbot (on behalf of Thorsten
Leemhuis) <regressions@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> * The following patch fixing a build bug reported three times now, that
> didn't get any reaction from the maintainer since it was posted six days
> ago:
> https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20220717231105.33005-1-kilobyte@xxxxxxxxxx/

Ok. DavidH is on vacation, so I just picked that up directly.

> * The virtio regression is kinda fixed by c346dae4f3fb already, but
> there is a patch in the branch Michael usually uses to sent patches to
> you that he for one reason or another hasn't sent your way yet:
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/mst/vhost.git/commit/?h=vhost&idj9720576cd00d30722c5f755bd17d4cfa9df636
> I asked what's up here a few days ago, but sadly got no reply.

I'll let this be for now. It's more of a "don't do that then" thing,

> [ *NEW* ] fs: recent changes to copy_file_range behavior breakage

This seems to be a "damned if you do, damned if you don't", in that
different versions of libtorrent seem to expect different behaviors.

I think we're leaving it be, so that there's just one behavior going
forward, rather than vacillate between two and making things just
worse and oscillate depending on which one people use.

Not good, but there doesn't seem to be a good case.

Linus