Re: DMA-buf and uncached system memory

From: Christian König
Date: Thu Jun 23 2022 - 05:47:05 EST

Am 23.06.22 um 11:33 schrieb Lucas Stach:
[SNIP]
In the DMA API keeping things mapped is also a valid use-case, but then
you need to do explicit domain transfers via the dma_sync_* family,
which DMA-buf has not inherited. Again those sync are no-ops on cache
coherent architectures, but do any necessary cache maintenance on non
coherent arches.
Correct, yes. Coherency is mandatory for DMA-buf, you can't use
dma_sync_* on it when you are the importer.

The exporter could of course make use of that because he is the owner of
the buffer.
In the example given here with UVC video, you don't know that the
buffer will be exported and needs to be coherent without
synchronization points, due to the mapping cache at the DRM side. So
V4L2 naturally allocates the buffers from CPU cached memory. If the
expectation is that those buffers are device coherent without relying
on the map/unmap_attachment calls, then V4L2 needs to always
synchronize caches on DQBUF when the buffer is allocated from CPU
cached memory and a single DMA-buf attachment exists. And while writing
this I realize that this is probably exactly what V4L2 should do...
No, the expectation is that the importer can deal with whatever the
exporter provides.

If the importer can't access the DMA-buf coherently it's his job to
handle that gracefully.
How does the importer know that the memory behind the DMA-buf is in CPU
cached memory?

If you now tell me that an importer always needs to assume this and
reject the import if it can't do snooping, then any DMA-buf usage on
most ARM SoCs is currently invalid usage.

Yes, exactly that. I've pointed out a couple of times now that a lot of ARM SoCs don't implement that the way we need it.

We already had tons of bug reports because somebody attached a random PCI root complex to an ARM SoC and expected it to work with for example an AMD GPU.

Non-cache coherent applications are currently not really supported by the DMA-buf framework in any way.

On most of the multimedia
targeted ARM SoCs being unable to snoop the cache is the norm, not an
exception.

See for example on AMD/Intel hardware most of the engines can perfectly
deal with cache coherent memory accesses. Only the display engines can't.

So on import time we can't even say if the access can be coherent and
snoop the CPU cache or not because we don't know how the imported
DMA-buf will be used later on.

So for those mixed use cases, wouldn't it help to have something
similar to the dma_sync in the DMA-buf API, so your scanout usage can
tell the exporter that it's going to do non-snoop access and any dirty
cache lines must be cleaned? Signaling this to the exporter would allow
to skip the cache maintenance if the buffer is in CPU uncached memory,
which again is a default case for the ARM SoC world.

Well for the AMD and Intel use cases we at least have the opportunity to signal cache flushing, but I'm not sure if that counts for everybody.

What we would rather do for those use cases is an indicator on the DMA-buf if the underlying backing store is CPU cached or not. The importer can then cleanly reject the use cases where it can't support CPU cache snooping.

This then results in the normal fallback paths which we have anyway for those use cases because DMA-buf sharing is not always possible.

Regards,
Christian.

Regards,
Lucas