Re: Removal of qcom,board-id and qcom,msm-id

From: Dmitry Baryshkov
Date: Wed Jun 22 2022 - 04:21:20 EST

On 22/05/2022 22:51, Konrad Dybcio wrote:
Hi,

removing these properties will not bring almost any benefit (other than making
some checks happy any saving some <200 LoC) and will make the lives of almost
all people doing independent development for linux-on-msm harder. There are
almost unironically like 3 people outside Linaro and QUIC who have
non-vendor-fused development boards AND the sources to rebuild the
bootloader on their own. Making it harder to boot is only going to
discourage people from developing on these devices, which is already not
that pleasant, especially with newer platforms where you have to fight with
the oh-so-bright ideas of Android boot chain..

This only concerns devices released before sm8350, as the new ones will not
even boot with these properties present (or at least SONY Sagami, but I
doubt it's an isolated case), so other than completing support for older
devices, it won't be an issue going forward, anyway.

I almost missed this part of the discussion (and Krzysztof had to point me to it in discussion of his patches).

I think this is a Sony peculiarity. At least the distributed SM8350 (lahaina) and SM8450 (waipio) Qualcomm device trees use these properties:

https://github.com/MiCode/kernel_devicetree/blob/zeus-s-oss/qcom/lahaina-hdk.dts
https://github.com/MiCode/kernel_devicetree/blob/zeus-s-oss/qcom/lahaina-v2.1.dtsi
https://github.com/MiCode/kernel_devicetree/blob/zeus-s-oss/qcom/waipio-qrd-pm8010.dts
https://github.com/MiCode/kernel_devicetree/blob/zeus-s-oss/qcom/waipio-v2.dtsi