Re: DMA-buf and uncached system memory

From: Nicolas Dufresne
Date: Tue Jun 21 2022 - 11:42:44 EST

Hi Christian and Andy,

Le mardi 21 juin 2022 à 12:34 +0200, Christian König a écrit :
>  Hi Andy,
>
>  Am 21.06.22 um 12:17 schrieb Andy.Hsieh:

> > > Hopefully I'm getting this right, but this makes me think of a long
> > > standing
> > > issue I've met with Intel DRM and UVC driver. If I let the UVC driver
> > > allocate
> > > the buffer, and import the resulting DMABuf (cacheable memory written with
> > > a cpu
> > > copy in the kernel) into DRM, we can see cache artifact being displayed.
> > > While
> > > if I use the DRM driver memory (dumb buffer in that case) it's clean
> > > because
> > > there is a driver specific solution to that.
> > >
> > > There is no obvious way for userspace application to know what's is
> > > right/wrong
> > > way and in fact it feels like the kernel could solve this somehow without
> > > having
> > > to inform userspace (perhaps).

> > Hi All,
> >
> > We also encountered the UVC cache issue on ARMv8 CPU in Mediatek SoC when
> > using UVC dmabuf-export and feeding the dmabuf to the DRM display by the
> > following GStreamer command:
> >
> > # gst-launch-1.0 v4l2src device=/dev/video0 io-mode=dmabuf ! kmssink
> >
> > UVC driver uses videobuf2-vmalloc to allocate buffers and is able to export
> > them as dmabuf. But UVC uses memcpy() to fill the frame buffer by CPU
> > without
> > flushing the cache. So if the display hardware directly uses the buffer, the
> > image shown on the screen will be dirty.
> >
> > Here are some experiments:
> >
> > 1. By doing some memory operations (e.g. devmem) when streaming the UVC,
> >    the issue is mitigated. I guess the cache is swapped rapidly.
> > 2. By replacing the memcpy() with memcpy_flushcache() in the UVC driver,
> >    the issue disappears.
> > 3. By adding .finish callback in videobuf2-vmalloc.c to flush the cache
> >    before returning the buffer, the issue disappears.
> >
> > It seems to lack a cache flush stage in either UVC or Display. We may also
> > need communication between the producer and consumer. Then, they can decide
> > who is responsible for the flushing to avoid flushing cache unconditionally
> > leading to the performance impact.
>
>  Well, that's not what this mail thread was all about.
>
>  The issue you are facing is that somebody is forgetting to flush caches, but
> the issue discussed in this thread here is that we have hardware which
> bypasses caches altogether.
>
>  As far as I can see in your case UVC just allocates normal cached system
> memory through videobuf2-vmalloc() and it is perfectly valid to fill that
> using memcpy().
>
>  If some hardware then accesses those buffers bypassing CPU caches then it is
> the responsibility of the importing driver and/or DMA subsystem to flush the
> caches accordingly.

I've tracked this down to videobuf2-vmalloc.c failing to look for coherency
during "attach()". It is also missing begin_/end access implementation for the
case it get attached to a non-coherent device. Seems fixable though, but "I'm
far from an expert", but more some random person reading code and comments.

regards,
Nicolas