Regression in 5.18.3 from "xhci: Set HCD flag to defer primary roothub registration"

From: Christian Hewitt
Date: Sat Jun 11 2022 - 02:49:41 EST

Commit 6c64a664e1cff339ec698d803fa8cbb9af5d95ce “xhci: Set HCD flag to defer
primary roothub registration” added for Linux 5.18.3 caused a regression on
some Amlogic S912 devices (original user forum report with an Android TV box
and confirmed with a Khadas VIM2 board). I do not see issues with older S905
(WeTeK Play2) or newer S922X (Odroid N2+) devices running the same kernel.
There are no kernel splats or error messages but lsusb shows no output and
nothing works. Simple revert restores the previous good working behaviour.

dmesg with commit http://ix.io/3ZTv
dmesg with revert http://ix.io/3ZTw

I’m not a coder so will need to be fed instructions to assist with debugging
the issue further if you don't have access to an Amlogic S912 device. I can
share devices online for remote poking around if needed.

Christian