Re: RFC: Ioctl v2

From: Jan Engelhardt
Date: Thu Jun 09 2022 - 18:03:07 EST

On Friday 2022-05-20 18:16, Kent Overstreet wrote:
>Problems with ioctls:
>
>* There's no namespacing, and ioctl numbers clash
>
>IOCTL v2 proposal:
>
>* Namespacing
>
>To solve the namespacing issue, I want to steal an approach I've seen from
>OpenGL, where extensions are namespaced: an extension will be referenced by name
>where the name is vendor.foo, and when an extension becomes standard it gets a
>new name (arb.foo instead of nvidia.foo, I think? it's been awhile).
>To do this we'll need to define ioctls by name, not by hardcoded number, [...]

https://www.khronos.org/registry/vulkan/specs/1.3-extensions/man/html/VK_NV_glsl_shader.html
Right there on the front matter: "Registered number #13".

https://www.khronos.org/registry/vulkan/specs/1.3/styleguide.html
"All extensions must be registered with Khronos."
"Each extension is assigned a range of values that can be used to create globally-unique enum
values"