Re: [Linux v5.17.9] -Wdeprecated-declarations warnings with LLVM-14 and OpenSSL v3.0.x

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Jun 09 2022 - 15:05:27 EST

On Thu, Jun 9, 2022 at 11:41 AM Sedat Dilek <sedat.dilek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Why go back and forth... do it like Alexander the Great and the Gordian knot.
>
> Sword - Swash - Done.
>
> commit 6bfb56e93bcef41859c2d5ab234ffd80b691be35
> "cert host tools: Stop complaining about deprecated OpenSSL functions"

Well, it's not like that is the *right* fix.

But I think for now, the answer is "leave it like that until we can
just get rid of the ENGINE API entirely".

I absolutely detest the "deprecation" warnings. We used to do that in
the kernel too, and it was a complete disaster. The warnings are very
noisy, and nobody ever cares about them, so it's simply not worth it.

So we deprecated "__deprecated" in the kernel itself:

771c035372a0 deprecate the '__deprecated' attribute warnings
entirely and for good

and I don't think we should care about it when it comes to OpenSSL either.

Eventually, that deprecated interface will go away entirely, and by
then we hopefully don't care about really old openssl implementations
and will have gotten rid of the uses.

But for now, I think putting our head in the sand is actually the
_better_ model rather than fighting some battle over old vs new
libraries.

Because sometimes, if you ignore a problem, it really does just go away.

Linus