Re: [GIT PULL] tracing/rtla: Updates to the RTLA tool

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Mar 23 2022 - 14:15:54 EST

On Mon, Mar 21, 2022 at 7:30 AM Steven Rostedt <rostedt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm sending this as a separate pull request from my normal tracing tree, as
> it had dependencies to commits in your tree but not in my development
> branch. As it only affects the tools/ directory, I kept it separate as it
> has no changes to the kernel itself.

Yes, please keep the tooling updates separate from the kernel ones,
the way we now for some time have for the perf tooling too.

That said, mentioning the perf tools, I wish the tracing tools would
do a bit more package checking and helpful error messages too, rather
than just fail with

fatal error: tracefs.h: No such file or directory

when (presumably) libtracefs and friends are needed.

Hmm?

Linus